To find out more about Thanet Fairtrade Initiative, contact the Chair, Charlotte Tagart.
Or send an email
Objectives of Thanet Fairtrade Initiative
- To promote within Thanet the concept of Fairtrade and increase the availability of Fairtrade Products and Local Produce.
- To raise awareness of the Fairtrade Mark.
- To ensure continued commitment and drive towards gaining Fairtrade Island status for Thanet, by achieving the five criteria of a Fairtrade Town as set out in the Fairtrade Foundation’s ‘The Fairtrade Town – Action Guide‘, and to maintain the accreditation once it has been achieved.
- To encourage workplaces, schools, universities and churches to work to promote and use Fairtrade and Local Produce.
Thanet Fairtrade Initiative was formed in 2005 and is a group of busy individuals dedicated to raising awareness of Fairtrade in Thanet – one of the UK’s first Fairtrade islands.
The organisation was founded by Tammy Stewart-Jones (pictured above, courtesy of Simon Rawles), who was born in St Vincent in the Windward Isles. She was aware of the plight of small banana farmers there and, after moving to the UK, she encouraged members of the Women’s Institute up and down the country to buy Fairtrade bananas, which offer a better future for millions of people in the developing world.
In 2009, at a special ceremony at Number 10 Downing Street to mark the 15th anniversary of the FAIRTRADE Mark, Tammy was presented with the Fairtrade Award for Outstanding Achievements in recognition of her tireless campaign.
In 2013 Charlotte Tagart took over as Chair having served on the Steering Group from the start.
Thanet Fairtrade Initiative is grateful for the continued support of The Co-operative, Quex Barn, Thanet Leisureforce, Margate Winter Gardens and Thanet District Council, as well as dozens of local schools, companies and organisations.
Meet the team:
- Tammy Stewart-Jones – Founder
- Charlotte Tagart – Chair
- Gordon Linsell – Treasurer
- Katy Andrews – Secretary
- Marc Eaton-Brown – Web advisor/Photography
- Jane Wright – Community Coordinator
- Nicola Bunting – Social Media
- Dilys Linsell – Project Coordinator
We also engage with numerous volunteers who help out at events.